It's no one's fault but your own...

If you're not happy!

That's right! Don't blame it on circumstances, blame unhappiness on how you react to the circumstance.

Stuff happens and you can't stop it, so, roll with the punches or as my favorite saying says -- be like a duck in water, let it roll off your back.

I found this article on USA Today this morning, and it made me think. It's true, unhappiness depends on the how the individual rationalizes their circumstances and shouldn't be dictated by what's going on around us.

Again, my Granny was right, happiness isn't or shouldn't be defined by how deep your pockets or pocketbook is. Or, which Monet or Picasso you've got hanging on your walls. Or [God forbid, this makes my stomach turn] what Mink or Chinchilla coats you have hanging in your closets. You can be happy if you're living in a one bedroom house with a velvet painting of dogs playing poker on the wall.

Psychologists now believe that they know what makes people truly happy. In USA Today, dated 12/8/2002, a story was written about what makes people happy, truly happy. No, not these faux pas living mannequins, who walk around with botox induced smiles carving their faces but, real deep down inside happy people:

Psychologists now know what makes people happy by Marilyn Elias USA Today -- The happiest people surround themselves with family and friends, don't care about keeping up with the Joneses next door, loose themselves in daily activities, and most important, easily forgive. Read More...


The article goes on to further say that people who are most happy are the ones that spend the least time alone. My take on being alone may disagree with this thought. I personally love and crave solitude. Sure, I like being around friends and family but, when it's time to be alone, I want to be alone. I don't like my solitude invaded.

What really caught my interest, was the thought that materialism is toxic to happiness, with that, I couldn't agree more. I mean, think about it, the more material things a person has the more they want. Materialism is like a fly caught in a web, it struggles and struggles for the materialistic things until the materialism spider creeps down sucks out all the happiness.

This was a great article. I didn't agree with everything the writer mentioned but, on the whole, it's very true. Happiness comes from within not from everything going on around you.

Yes, it's great having family and friends but, I don't like having them stuck to the side of me like they have velcro arms. If you don't have as many family or friends that you'd like, get a dog or a cat or both. I've got both along with family and friends, they make life complete. That feeling of completeness is what makes me happy.


These babies make me smile!




4 Thoughts:

Jillian said...

Hey hey hey, I agree for the most part. The article was a bit interesting.

I think the power to be happy greatly depends on the person. I've the been the happiest in my life when other people would say it sucked.

Right on.

I think happiness is something that takes practice though. So many of us, get caught up in the things around us and forget what's important and what makes us smile.

And so, I will try not to forget!

-Jillian

djWhite said...

Yes, that's my take on the subject too. Thanks for stopping by!

Suzanne Lieurance said...

I think many people are afraid to be happy. They feel they don't deserve happiness, or they worry that if they admit to being happy their happiness will be taken away.

But I LOVE being happy! There's nothing like waking up excited to see what will happen every day!

Suzanne Lieurance
The Working Writer's Coach
http://www.workingwriterscoach.com
"When Your Pen Won't Budge, Read The Morning Nudge"

djWhite said...

This is true Suzanne, thanks so much for stopping by. See, :) I'm smiling!

Post a Comment