Are We Still a Nation Full of Disgrace?





Will the new Administration be any better towards its Veterans especially, its homeless Veterans?

Please do except my apologies but, I'm a cynic and skeptic at heart and have a hard time believing anything will change. Any Administration, be it partisan, bipartisan, nonpartisan is about money and the wants of the good "ole" boys network.

It has been over a year since I wrote about the plight of America's Veterans. Since then I still see a new crop of Veterans coming home and still have to fight a different type of war. A war against their own government.

I've experienced this continuing fight, this war against my own government. I must say, I don't like this war. I don't like having to fight, along with thousands of my fellow vets, against my own government.

Personally, it has taken me twenty years to get the VA to accept their responsibility to me. The VA has gone so far as to "loose" important medical documentation in order to prolong my claim. By prolonging my claim they made me start over in the middle of the process just so not to have to pay me a large retro pay.

Finally, the fight and the wait was worth while. But, what about the other Vets, the Vets who have fallen through the cracks. Yes, they are out there. They are homeless, they are poor, they don't have the VA resource to fall back on.

Why don't they have the VA resource to fall back on? Many were dishonorably discharged from the service and cannot use the VA. Some were discharged for drug abuse, some were discharged for alcoholism, some were discharged for psychological reasons.

Don't get me wrong, there are those Vets who were discharged for good reason but the others, seems suspect to this cynic.

Yes, the military has programs to help these different problems but all to many of those needing help fall through the cracks and are discharged instead of rehabilitated.

Those not rehabilitated are discharged and have no where to go and become homeless.

CNN (July 2008) -- one quarter of the homeless in the United States are Veterans. Government statistics say that there are 200,000 homeless Vets, 2,000 served in Afghanistan or Iraq.

Many of these homeless Veterans drank and took drugs while in the service. Why, well, I know from my son's experience, it was to block what was going on around them. Bombs going off, guns being shot, cars blowing up, would affect any of you reading this too. So, how do you think these young men and women feel.

My son, was scared so scared that one day he called me from the Middle East rambling about a bomb. What could I do? Although I'm his Mom, I had to get tough and tell him to "suck it up" and follow protocol, it will keep you alive. Is it a wonder that many of these "kids" are drug addicts, alcoholics and suffer from Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome?

There were times I felt as if I was over there with him. I, myself, left the Middle East over twenty years ago and I still haven't gotten over the culture shock. There was no shooting or bombing during my time but, covert actions had me on edge so, I can and do understand how many of these (0ur) "kids" are mentally traveling off the planet.

For these Military men and women to have to come home and fight another long, drawn out war is shameful. It's a disgrace! No Veteran should be homeless and without health care especially psychological care. Many (my son included) need psychological help.

Yet, I am still proud to have served for the liberty and freedom of my country and proud to have the right to write about "The Disgrace of America."




*I am Saluting All Active Duty, Retired Military and Fellow Veterans -- your service is greatly appreciated*

0 Thoughts:

Post a Comment